Friday, January 20, 2006

Birth by Paper

Looking back at the birth of Olivia and Frida, I feel like we cheated a bit -- other than signing in at the hospital and filling out the birth registration, I don't think that we did a mote of paperwork. Adoptions, at least international ones, are births by paper.

Here's the status of our birthing to date:
  • Initial application - done
  • Secondary application - done
  • Adoption questionnaire - done
  • Autobiography - done
  • 3 years of tax returns - done
  • I-600A (immigration) - submitted
  • Live scan: child abuse check - done (but Luke had to re-do a second time because of a computer failure)
  • Live scan: state criminal check - done, I think
  • 3 (each) certified long-form birth certificates - Sheri's are done; mine are ordered from Canada, I think, but I can't be sure. Technically you can only have one long-form certified birth certificate and I requested three, which means that my request probably got thrown into the "ignore since he obviously can't read directions and don't return his calls" file.
  • 3 certified marriage certificates - done
  • 3 certified divorce decrees - not yet ;)
  • 3 certified death certificates - knock on wood
  • 3 notarized medical letters - medical done for both; Sheri's waiting notarization and I'm waiting to make sure that I don't have TB. My darn test came back positive and they can't re-test for 30 days. It was either accept the positive, get a chest x-ray, take six months of medecine and don't drink for six months, and get the doctor's signature, or re-test in 30 days. Though it's probably delaying us, I opted for the alcohol.
  • 4 notarized employment verification letters - done
  • four-page notarized financial statement - done (as long as the actual quantity doesn't matter) but still needs notarizing
  • one-page notarized financial statement - ditto
  • 2 notarized reference letters - picking up the second this weekend
  • guardianship form - done
  • bank deposit verification - hoping to win the lottery before actually verifying
  • insurance verification for child - done
  • I-134 affidavit of support - done
  • certification of identity - done. We are pretty sure we are who we are.
  • CIS fingerprints - waiting
  • application of adoption letter - done, though I'm not sure how this differs from the first application letter
  • 5 notarized power of attorney letters - to be notarized still
  • 2 notarized state adoption law summaries - I think our agency's doing this one
  • 2 notarized passport photo pages (plus, I've got to renew my passport) - to be notarized
  • 2 notarized police clearance letters - one down, one to go
  • 2 nursery application letters - done, I think
  • 4 colour photographs - done
  • 1 notarized CIS approval - waiting
Would I rather give birth or collect paper? Well, for the former, at least you can get an epidural.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Luke~
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how to e-mail you independant of this blog. We are using Heartsent Adoptions, their Fair Oaks office. We live in No. Cal., Sacramento area. Judging by your paperwork list, you may be using Heartsent also. It is the exact same list! We actually just got the last piece of paperwork for our dossier, and our homestudy is officially done! My email is amandasavarino@hotmail.com. Love to hear from you, It's always great to exchange info. We'll be checking your blog regularly.
~Amanda

12:42 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Martin-Spisaks,

Forgot to tell you when our referral was! We got our referral on Jan 4th. They told us before they closed for christmas that they would have a referral for us after New Years. I just about went nuts over the holiday with excitment and anticipation. How about you , when did you receive yours?
~Amanda

1:04 PM  
Blogger Luke Martin said...

Yes, we're using Heartsent as well. They did a great job for us on our first adoption, from China back in 2000-01. Now that we're in So. Cal. we're working with the Pasadena office.

As far as a referral goes, maybe our situation is a bit different than yours. We contacted Val (at the Orinda office) directly when we saw Lu-Yu's photo on their web site. Because he was considered "special needs", which in his case means that he was slightly premature and was now older than most of the children adopted through St. Lucy's, he was proving to be a little harder to place. As you might know, Val's a power sales woman and we made the decision to adopt him within a day or two. We still needed to get official approval from the orphanage, which we got last week, on the 18th I guess. I always knew that it was coming and it was great to get the news, but didn't really change my thinking. Sheri, though, felt an enormous relief and build up of excitment -- because for her it was now really going to happen.

Anyway, I'll send you our e-mail address.

Thanks for dropping by!

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home