Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Hope Springs

Sheri and I abandoned the kids last night -- actually overnight -- and hit the town. We always have big ambitions of doing things, but usually end up having appetizers and drinking and talking in the same place for hours and hours and hours. We probably would have done that all night, but had a concert to catch -- Bruce Cockburn. For those who don't know, Bruce is a mash up of, I don't know, Thomas Merton, Che Guevara, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and Louis Riel. There's just something about his music -- it's lyrical, passionate, angry, funny -- that always strikes me poignantly, especially in concert.

You may or may not know his song Lovers in a Dangerous Time. There's a line partway through that is one of those few moments when a human being looks at the grand, confusing universe around us, our place in it, and gets it. (And I'm not the only one who thinks this about the line -- a collection of his songs by a bunch of fellow Canadian artists uses the line as the album title.) I was ready for the line, feeling it coming, and when he sang it, the tears streamed down my cheeks -- not the coolest thing in a concert, but I don't think that anyone noticed.
nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight --
Gotta kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight
That's where I am. You can read through my posts here and I probably seem a bit flippant about all this. My anger and frustration, a growing depression, none of these are very apparent. But it's dark, and I've come to the point that I hope that we'll get a call from Taiwan not today or this week, but maybe this month. And some days I am sure that it will never happen, that this boy I believe is my son will disappear from us. In that darkness there is only one thing for us to do: kick, fight, tear at the very fabric of the universe around us, wrestle God to the ground. Passively sitting back, confident that all will be well -- sometimes that's just not an option. And, though it might not appear so, that is hope.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

well first off after reading the lyrics I too started crying, had to take a break before reading the rest. I can totally understand where you are at. We struggled with infertility for 3 1/2 years before we decided to adopt. We were at the bottom of the bottom and it too was very dark. So we had to fight and claw our way to our dreams of a family. So if what you have to do is kick at that darkness, scream and yell do it b/c like you said that's hope.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I've been there. Five and half months in the courts. It's a bad feeling. But it does have a happy ending. And you will get to enjoy that ending soon. Keep the faith.

Jan
Mom to Ansley (Gotcha Date 6/12/06 from Taiwan)

10:50 AM  
Blogger TaiwanMommy said...

Luke- We've been "pushed back" to Sept 20th, now. We should have traveled this week. The only thing good about all this is that I still have reason to hope we'll all go together. I'm still praying for you folks. I know someday we'll look back and this won't be as big of a deal, but for now, GAHH!! I hope I don't get to kiss your boy before you do. I hope I get to watch as you meet him!

Like Ann, infertility raised it's ugly head at my house too, and like her, I've also been into the pit of despair, blackness and anger that it trying to pull you in. You do whatever you need to do to fight it. Our children WILL be home. Promise.

hugs-
Val

P.S.
If your daughter does come up here to visit Grandma, can we get together for coffee? Ann too?

11:37 AM  
Blogger Luke Martin said...

I'm sorry to read about your sadness -- all of you. But it makes us realize that we're not alone. Jan is a perfect reminder that no matter how long our wait, it ends. August, September, February. It'll all fade in retrospect, it really will, and we all do know that.

8:29 PM  
Blogger TaiwanMommy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wondering where the lion's are.

Hopefully soon, "some kinda ecstacy" gets a hold on you. :)

6:59 AM  
Blogger Luke Martin said...

Thanks for the ecstasy reminder, Anonymous. I gotta make sure I'm listening to the right tunes.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke --

Those song lyrics remind me a great deal of U2's lyrics, too. All about fighting the good fight and nothing great coming easily. I think about "Grace," the song that kept me sane while driving through Alpine amid the smoking ruins of once-homes after the Cedar Fire.

"Grace makes beauty out of ugly things...

Grace finds goodness in everything"

And from U2's latest CD, the final song, "Yahweh" --

"Yahweh, Yahweh, always pain before a child is born.

Yahweh, Yahweh, why is there always darkness before the dawn?"

I need the permission to question, to want, to grieve ... and I like U2's validation of the struggle.

I love the name "Jasper" -- a strong name for a strong, beautiful boy.

God's blessings to your lovely family,

Susanne :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Luke Martin said...

Susanne, one thing that I love about U2 is that they might be worth $800 million dollars and have their own private equity firm, but they still get it. Your Yahweh quote reminds me of their song 40 (and reminds me how old they are and I am!): I waited patiently for the Lord/ he inclined and heard my cry.

So many people have so much more that they are waiting for. I feel like a whining child some days. We know that our wait will end, and he'll soon be with us. Our loss is temporary and has a limit of a matter of months. What about families waiting for returning soldiers, or children waiting for fathers who have left them, or people waiting for wars to end. I have little to complain about, and I do see the end to this wait.

I have nothing that I can complain about, but I suspect I'll continue the complaining. That's human, right?

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home