Monday, August 21, 2006

New Birthday

People following this trek know that we've had lots of bum luck the whole way through this process. Whether it was the dilemma of having to get three Canadian birth certificates, when one is all you're allowed, and not needing them after all, but paying for three, and only getting one, or whether it was having to have all our documents re-notarized -- we've done it all.

You may also have noticed that during all of this I was applying for U.S. citizenship, and that I was doing my darndest to get them to change my incorrect birthdate to my correct birthdate. Alas, I got my new passport on Friday and it looks like the government has won. I've got myself a new birthday. In the ecstacy and patriotic fervor (p.s. notice the new U.S. spelling) of my Oath Taking Ceremony, I didn't notice that that document had the incorrect birthdate. So, I was screwed from that moment. The Department of State declared that because it is on my Certificate of Naturalization, my birthday is officially February 14, not February 17, 1967.

I called CIS today and explained the situation. No problem, they said. All I have to do is fill out form N-565 and note the change. Oh, and include the $220 filing fee. But, I said, it was an error made by you not me. Unfortunately, she said, the N-565 will only be reviewed if it comes with the filing fee. They may decide not to cash my check, but will not review the application without the check. Call me conspiratorial, if you'd like, but I doubt that I'd see that check returned.

So, based on my string of bad luck this year, I'm sticking with the new birthday. Next year, when you're buying roses for your partner on Valentine's Day, make sure to remember me, and hope that my luck has turned. I'll have spent my $220 filing fee on a bottle of Jadot grand cru, celebrating my 40th birthday.

3 Comments:

Blogger TaiwanMommy said...

Feb 14 is a suitable birthday for one as sweet as you! Change it when you win the lottery someday! :)

xoxo
Val (still hoping you're coming with me..less than one month!!)

9:40 AM  
Blogger Scott/Joan Wells said...

I say why not celebrate twice--once on the 14th your American B-day and then on the 17th your Canadian B-day. Or make it a 3 day celebration. Sorry about the mix up. At least you will have story to tell you little son someday. Have a great day.
Joanie

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say have a happy UNBIRTHDAY anyway!!! You can reverse in age. I am sorry that you can't even keep your birthday.. that stinks to the hilt. GEES lewilakers Wally!!!!!

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home