Thursday, August 24, 2006

Island of the Day Before

In Umberto Eco's novel the protagonist is shipwrecked within view of an island, and he's convinced that he's on the international dateline -- that magical place where you can change the past, since it's the only place where you can step into yesterday.

That's me. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage, since by the time I wake today, it's already tomorrow there. They've gone through their day, and this judge has obviously done it without having made a decision, once again. She's busy making tea, or reading the newspaper, or getting her Mercedes tuned up, or planning for her retirement. (We can only pray for the latter for those coming after us.) Maybe if I were in her time zone I could do something to influence things. I could speed up the tea making, highlight the important articles in the newspaper, bribe the mechanics to get it in and out in under fifteen minutes, and give her a nice brochure on a retirement village in Fairbanks. (Where her cold heart will find a sympathetic home.) As it is, I can't do anything. It's already tomorrow, and today we didn't get the call.

5 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

grrrrrrrr.to.her.

BUT..she is already started on tomorrows work today, so she has had that much of a head start by the time you roll out of bed in the morning.

I know you already know that...

~A

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an awesome thought, thanks for sharing it. I know it is coming.. it has too. She has to break sometime... she isn't superwoman.. everyone has their cryptonite. NEWS PLEASE COME!!!!!

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an awesome thought, thanks for sharing it. I know it is coming.. it has too. She has to break sometime... she isn't superwoman.. everyone has their cryptonite. NEWS PLEASE COME!!!!!

2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had those same thoughts. By the time I woke to a new day, my judge had already 'dictated' how my day would unfold. It STINKS. It's not fair and it just plain hurts to keep waiting. There is not a thing to be said that can make that hurt go away, EXCEPT, you have your decree. Nothing else will do. I hope you get it soon. VERY SOON.

Jan

12:19 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

this so sucks!!! No other way to put it. I wish I could do something to speed her up and we'll all pitch in on that retirement home for her/him. Because this is absolutely not necessary!!! Wish I could do something guys.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home